Prosciutto pizza is a big favorite in Italian pizzerias, either served with or without arugula. In this simple prosciutto pizza recipe I give you all the tricks and tips you need to make it at home.
Prosciutto pizza is a great example why we love Italian cuisine so much. Very simple ingredients – in fact only one topping: prosciutto. Still it is such a delicious food with dozens of flavors in it. A great example of the good old saying, sometimes less is more.
Tips For Making Prosciutto Pizza At Home
- Amounts in this recipe yield 1 large prosciutto pizza.
- You need 280 g (10 oz) of dough for a regular size pizza, and 140 g (5 oz) for a small pizza.
- If you are making more then one pizza, cut the dough into equal sizes, about 10 oz or 280g each and form a ball for each one of your pizzas.
- Prosciutto, cured Italian ham, is a key ingredient in this recipe. Use the best quality product!
- See my pizza dough recipe for more details.
- Also learn how to shape your pizza at home.
- 10 oz pizza dough 280 g
- 4 tbsp tomato purée (passata) 66 g
- extra virgin olive oil a few drops
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 ½ oz fresh mozzarella cheese 125 g
- 8 slices prosciutto approx. 90 g
- Preheat your oven to the highest temperature possible.
- Form a ball from the pizza dough. Start by making a circular motion with the palm of your hand, with some pressure. Then release the pressure gradually until you get a nice ball shape. Put your pizza dough balls on a lightly floured work surface. Dust them with some more flour, and let them proof covered with a kitchen towel for another 15 minutes.
- Shape your dough to form a large, thin disk and place it in a pizza pan.
- Put your tomato purée (passata) on top of your pizza dough, in the middle. With a back of a spoon or a ladle, using circular motions towards the edges, make sure the tomato covers your pizza dough. Leave an edge about 1 inch (2-3 cm) thick.
- Drizzle a few drops of extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle some dried oregano and salt.
- Add your mozzarella cheese. Just tear it in bite size pieces, and place them over the tomato sauce.
- Put your prosciutto slices on your pizza. Make sure to cover it all, except the edges.
- Transfer your prosciutto pizza into the oven. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the edges are slightly browned.