Pizza Trieste, or caramelized apple and Gorgonzola pizza, named after the North-Italian city of Trieste, is not a classic Italian pizza, more like an American invention. Still it has a very interesting, sweet and savory flavor profile.
When you search for pizza Trieste recipe online, most of them just top the pizza with cheese and apple, no sauce. I find this method very strange, and although the pizza might look nice in an oversaturated picture, sure it’s not the tasty one you’d like to try.
So I used a sour cream based pizza sauce, which might sound a bit intimidating at first. But believe me, the extra virgin olive oil and the light tanginess of the sour cream goes so well with these toppings that you’re gonna like it for sure!
Tips For Making Pizza Trieste
- Amounts in this recipe yield 1 large pizza Trieste.
- You need 280 g (10 oz) of dough for a regular size pizza, and 140 g (5 oz) for a small pizza.
- If you are making more then one pizza, cut the dough into equal sizes, about 10 oz or 280g each and form a ball for each one of your pizzas.
- See my pizza dough recipe for more details.
- Also learn how to shape your pizza at home.
- 10 oz pizza dough 280 g
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- ½ tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ tsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 4 ½ fresh mozzarella cheese 125 g
- 1 green apple Granny Smith, Honey Crisp
- 2 ¼ oz Gorgonzola cheese 65 g or about 4 tbsp
- Preheat your oven to the highest heat possible.
- Form a ball from the pizza dough. Start by making a circular motion with the palm of your hand, with some pressure. Then release the pressure gradually until you get a nice ball shape. Put your pizza dough balls on a lightly floured work surface. Dust them with some more flour, and let them proof covered with a kitchen towel for another 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix 3 tbsp of sour cream and 1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil. This will serve as your pizza sauce for your Trieste pizza.
- Cut the apple in quarters and remove the core. Slice it thinly, you need about 1/10 inch or 2-3 mm thick slices.
- Shape your dough to form a large, thin disk and place it in a pizza pan.
- Spread the sour cream sauce over the pizza dough. Starting from the middle with a back of a spoon or a ladle, using circular motions towards the edges, make sure the sour cream covers your pizza dough. Leave an edge about 1 inch (2-3 cm) thick.
- Chop the rosemary and sprinkle some salt and rosemary over the sauce.
- Add the mozzarella cheese. Just tear it in bite size pieces, and place them over the sauce.
- Put your apple slices on top of your pizza Trieste.
- Finally crumble the Gorgonzola over the pizza.
- Transfer your pizza Trieste into the oven. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the edges are slightly browned.