Let me tell you, this ham & artichoke pizza is my favorite pizza recipe these days. It is a simplified version of the famous pizza capricciosa, but it has the distinct flavors of Italian spiced ham (see recommendations) and the soft tanginess of canned artichoke hearts.
There is one secret to making the best out of a ham & artichoke pizza, and that’s using Italian prosciutto cotto. Nothing compares to its flavors, believe me. Try this pizza at home and never order pizza again!
Tips For Making Ham & Artichoke Pizza
- Amounts in this recipe yield 1 large ham and artichoke pizza.
- You need 280 g (10 oz) of dough for a regular size pizza, and 140 g (5 oz) for a small pizza.
- If you are making more then one pizza, cut the dough into equal sizes, about 10 oz or 280g each and form a ball for each one of your pizzas.
- Use prosciutto cotto, or cooked ham if you can’t find it, for this pizza.
- Canned artichoke hearts pair best to the flavors of the ham.
- See my pizza dough recipe for more details.
- Also learn how to shape your pizza at home.
Ham And Artichoke Pizza
- 10 oz pizza dough 280 g
- 4 tbsp tomato purée (passata) 66 g
- extra virgin olive oil a few drops
- 1 pinch Dried oregano
- 1 pinch salt
- 5½ oz fresh mozzarella cheese 150 g
- 1 slice cooked ham about 100 g or 3.5 oz, preferably prosciutto cotto
- 3-4 artichoke hearts canned
- Preheat your oven to the highest heat possible.
- Form a ball from the pizza dough. Start by making a circular motion with the palm of your hand, with some pressure. Then release the pressure gradually until you get a nice ball shape. Put your pizza dough balls on a lightly floured work surface. Dust them with some more flour, and let them proof covered with a kitchen towel for another 15 minutes.
- Shape your dough to form a large, thin disk and place it in a pizza pan.
- Put the tomato purée (passata) on top of your pizza dough, in the middle. With a back of a spoon or a ladle, using circular motions towards the edges, make sure the tomato covers your pizza dough. Leave an edge about 1 inch (2-3 cm) thick.
- Drizzle a few drops of extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle some dried oregano and salt.
- Add mozzarella cheese. Just tear it in bite size pieces, and place them over the tomato sauce.
- Top the pizza with the cooked ham. Add it in whole slices or tear it to bite-size pieces.
- Cut artichoke hearts in 4 or 8. Place them on top of the pizza.
- Transfer your ham & artichoke pizza into the oven. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the edges are slightly browned.