Melting and oozy cheese between two crispy toasts, who doesn’t love it? I mean there might be people like that, but they are definitely not reading a grilled cheese sandwich recipe.
Grilled cheese is one of the easiest yet tastiest sandwiches to make, an American favorite. It does not take an experienced cook to prepare a great grilled cheese sandwich, you just need to follow the tips in this recipe.
The ingredients are pretty simple: slices of white bread, unsalted butter and cheese. The only debatable thing in this recipe is what type of cheese to use. Short tip: start with cheddar, try Swiss and then any type of melting cheese of your preference. For a more detailed recommendation on which is the best cheese for a grilled cheese sandwich, click on the link.
Use Shredded Cheese For Better Experience
Some grilled cheese recipes call for slices of American cheese. Although this might be considered a somewhat traditional version, I definitely recommend you to use shredded cheese instead.
What’s the point? Sliced cheese is always processed. Which is of course a matter of taste, but processed cheese is just less natural then shredded or grated. Also shredding your own cheese gives you more control over the quantity. And more control here simply means more cheese, which is obviously something utterly positive when talking about a grilled cheese sandwich.
This recipe calls for 8.5 ounces (240 grams) of shredded cheese for 8 grilled cheese sandwiches. That’s about 1 and a half cup. That means that you need about 3 tablespoons or 1 ounce / 30 grams of cheese for one sandwich.
- Cooking pan
- 16 slices white bread
- 3 tbsp butter unsalted
- 8.5 oz cheese see recipe for tips
- Shred your cheese.
- Butter two slices of bread for one sandwich. Heap 3 tbsp shredded cheese on one of the slices, cover with the other. Push down slightly.
- Butter the outside of your sandwiches.
- Using a large pan, bake your grilled cheese sandwich over medium heat. It takes about 2-3 minutes on each side, until it gets nice and golden brown. Push down with a spatula after turning, this makes the cheese melt more easily.
- Serve hot. It's a good idea to cut your grilled cheese in half to get triangle shapes.